Back to the Basics



I have been looking for a basic brown, long sleeve t-shirt for far too long. After dozens of unsuccessful trips to a handful of retail locations I finally decided to take on my fear of knits and just make one! In fact, this was one of my early 2018 Make Nine selections.


I had some difficulty selecting a pattern and finally found this one. It is a bit more of a relaxed fit than I usually prefer but I decided it was worth a try. I grabbed this pattern and a warm, chocolate brown knit at my local JoAnn Fabrics and was ready to get to work.


I adjusted the pattern by removing two inches in length from both the sleeves and the body of the shirt. Very early on in the assembly of this t-shirt I ran into a problem. The pattern instructed me to turn the neckband under and top stitch it in place, hand whipping the v together and leaving six thicknesses of material inside to act as a makeshift facing. This seemed far too heavy for a simple, casual t-shirt so I struggled through a few different options before I was able to achieve this traditional t-shirt look.



If I had this neckband to do over again I wouldn't have clipped the seams as you can see in the picture above (an early instruction from the pattern) since that made top stitching the neckband in place more difficult. I sewed the side seams and armscye with a knit needle in a small zig zag. I also top stitched the hem of the shirt and sleeves with the double needle I originally purchased for the leggings I made last month.






I am happy to be adding a basic brown t-shirt to my wardrobe, but would not likely choose to use this pattern again in the near future. Do you have a favorite t-shirt pattern?

Time estimate: 6 hours
Size: 10
Material used: knit, cotton polyester blend
Care instructions: machine wash cold, gentle cycle; lay flat to dry

Cost to make t-shirt:
pattern - $7.00
material - $12.50
*used existing thread and iron-on stabilizer
TOTAL: $19.50
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]