Summer Cardigan



I am so excited to share my Blackwood cardigan from Helen's Closet with you. It was my first home run of the sewing season and will be perfect for the spring weather headed our way. I can't wait to make another version or two!

I purchased white, double sided brushed dty jersey from Mood to make this cardigan and love how soft it is. This was the first indie pattern I've purchased and the also the first .pdf pattern I've assembled. One of the benefits of using a .pdf pattern was the ability to turn off other sizes and print only my desired size. I can't seem to make myself cut down tissue paper patterns to my size so this was fun to try. On the other hand I didn't love having to print out, piece together, and tape the .pdf pattern. It took a fair amount of extra time not to mention additional overhead. And I'm still working on how to best store my .pdf patterns once they have been assembled.



I cut out this cardigan in an extra small with the desire to assemble the whole garment with only my serger. Since the material was cut so small I wanted to be careful not to take off too much additional material with my serger blade. I probably should have taken the time to remove the blade since I wasn't entirely finishing each seam and ended up having to use a small zig zag stitch inside of my serged edges to completely finish each seam.



Although this version is fairly small I envision wearing it to the office in the summer, mostly over cute sleeveless blouses, so the size shouldn't be a big issue. I love this modern style and found the pattern quick and easy to assemble. When I do make it again I will size up to allow for additional layers.

Time estimated: 4 hours
Size: extra small
Material used: jersey knit, polyester spandex blend
Care instructions: machine wash warm or cold, tumble dry low, iron low in needed

Cost to make t-shirt:
pattern - $14.00
fabric - $9.00
*used existing thread
TOTAL: $23.00
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]