Learning to Sew Knits



I have been sewing apparel since I was eight years old, one new outfit a year for my annual 4-H project. I LOVED the trips to the fabric store, pouring over the patterns and gorgeous materials. I was always allowed to choose what I wanted to make and the fabric I wanted to use, but aside from sewing one swimming suit I rarely worked with knits.

I love to wear knits. They are soft, comfortable, and easy to care for, so I decided to try my hand at a simple project while I practiced sewing with knits.


I chose this Simplicity leggings pattern, with four individual panels, because I thought it would offer a better fit than the leggings I have purchased RTW. I used a ball point/knit needle on my machine and worked to get the tension correct, sewing the side seams with a small zigzag stitch. Then, I used a twin needle for the first time to hem the leggings and sew the waistband down.


I found it a bit difficult to sew the hem and waistband from the top and need to continue to work on the tension of my seams, but all-in-all I am extremely happy with the twin needle and am not sure why I was scared to try it for so many years!



I made a size small and found this pattern fits a little large. I would size down for a more modern fit if I made these leggings again.




Time estimate: cut and sewn in approximately two hours
Size: small
Material used: knit print, rayon and spandex blend
Care instructions: machine wash cold, line dry

Cost to make leggings:
twin needle - $3.50
pattern - $10.00
material - $13.50
elastic - $1.00
*used existing thread
TOTAL: $28.00 + tax
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]