New Year, New Me




I often make New Years "goals" because I can never seem to complete any resolutions I set for myself. This year was different though. I wasn't inspired to even set any new "goals" for myself, that is until I came across a pattern I'd purchased for myself YEARS ago tucked away in my sewing room. I seem to have a habit of purchasing the most gorgeous patterns, taking them home and eagerly cutting them out, then promptly folding them back up again and storing them in my sewing room. Well not this year!


Do you remember the shortly lived television show Fashion Star? I loved the concept of being able to purchase items I adored from the show live online that night. But even better, I could purchase patterns for the clothing I loved and in the process of making them for myself, tailor them to my body.


This is the pattern that inspired my new blog. I hope by starting this blog I will hold myself more accountable for making the things I want to make, learn new techniques of the trade, and chronicle my journey. Thanks for joining me on this journey!


I made this pattern in a size 12 and decreased the width of the bodice on each side. Although the pattern called for Crepe de Chine, Crepe, Sateen, or Poplin I chose to use Ponte. I had been envisioning the dress in this form-fitting knit since I saw it on television and was quite happy with the results. I used a woven material for the lining to add some additional stability to this already sturdy knit.



I decided to use one color for a more classic look and anticipate that I could wear this dress for many occasions. However, the shoulder straps are a bit wide-set for my preference and something I may adjust if I make this dress again.



This kick pleat would probably be a cuter detail in a Crepe or Sateen that could be ironed more crisply. It is also important to take extra length out of this skirt when cutting it since this detail doesn't allow for a regular hem.

Time estimate: 14-16 hours
Size: 12
Materials used: solid navy blue Ponte; rayon, nylon, and spandex blend
Care instructions: machine wash cold, line dry, cool iron

Cost to make dress:
2 yards material - $20
zipper - $2
*used lining fabric, thread, and hook and eye from my stash, already owned the pattern
TOTAL - $22 + tax
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]