Maroon Cotton Lycra Westminster





I've had the Styla Westminster on my to-make list since it came out, and I can't believe I waited this long to make it! I love that this single piece can elevate my whole outfit. It has truly become a staple in my fall wardrobe.

I used maroon cotton lycra jersey knit from The Fabric Fairy in my perfect shade. This fabric is gorgeous and has stood the test of time and multiple washings. I think I need shirts in every color.

To create a square neckline the Westminster is self-lined, creating a shapewear effect. I made the long sleeve view with an elastic channel and love the visual interest these sleeves offer. One critique I have of this pattern is that the inner sleeve seams are longer than the elasticated outer seams and I find myself pulling up the inner sleeve seams throughout the day as I wear the top. If I were to make this top again I would size up one size, make the scoop neck version and use a single layer of fabric on the body finishing the neckline with a band. I would also make the shorter sleeve version and potentially add elastic to the inner seam as well as the outer seam.



This stylish new Westminster was the perfect addition to my fall wardrobe. I can wear it casually with a pair of jeans or dressed up with a plaid skirt. The sleeves add visual interest without adding too much bulk allowing me to layer over this top well. I'm getting a lot of wear out of it!

My goal for the next year is to make garments using a pattern and/or fabric from my stash. I had the Westminster pattern printing and waiting to be made and was able to use a fabric featured in my calm summer palette. This make is fitting all the bills.

Size: 4 
Time: 4-5 hours

Cost to Make:
pattern - $11 value (gifted to me)
fabric - $20 value, plus $9 shipping (gifted to me)
*elastic and thread from stash
TOTAL VALUE: $40 value

The Fabric Fairy fabric and Styla Westminster pattern were both gifted to me. I'm genuinely loving this top and am sharing my honest opinions in the post above.
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]