Colors of Korea Formal Simplicity Dress

My husband and I recently took a trip to Sweden and attended a formal gala themed "The Colors of Korea." We were asked to wear colors from the South Korean flag and I didn't have a dress for the occasion, so you know I made one!

Over the course of the next year it is my goal that each new make of mine uses a fabric and/or pattern from my stash. I needed to purchase a fabric for this dress since I didn't have one in my stash that fit the dress code so I searched my stash for a pattern I already owned and found Simplicity 2580. I originally thrifted this pattern for a very inexpensive price since it looked like something I would wear, but I didn't have any specific plans for it. Glad I grabbed it when it was available!

Working with this fabric was a breeze, even when I needed to unpick seams a few times. However, I really struggled with the sizing and ease of this pattern. My measurements had me in a size 12/14 but I am usually a size 10 in Simplicity patterns so that's what I cut. I ended up taking three inches out of the bust in a number of increments and could have taken a bit more out. But the hips were a good fit so I graded from the under-bust to the hips. Thankfully there was elastic in the center back to help hold the dress up.

This view of the pattern called for a tie closure behind the neck but I decided to trim down the ties and sew them together at the center back to create a more formal look. To get into the dress I really have to shimmy my head through the opening. This may not have been the best idea, but it was the quickest fix. I also cut an additional three and half inches off before the bottom of the skirt before hemming it.

Ultimately the dress looked great and I felt comfortable eating in it. However, the weight of the fabric pulled the dress down as the night wore on and I needed to readjust the tension at the front of the neck multiple time throughout the night. It was choking me! I may wear this dress again because I've already made it, but I honestly wouldn't make View E again.

Pattern: View E of Simplicity 2580, printed in 2009
Size: 6-10
Fabric: 2 1/2 yards of matte jersey knit fabric with 50% stretch, 94% polyester and 6% lycra, machine wash and line dry
Time: 4-5 hours due to fit issues, it should have taken much less time

Cost to Make:
pattern - $1-5, I can't remember the exact cost
fabric - $8.99/yard, for a total of $22.50 (but it often runs 30%)
*elastic and thread from stash
TOTAL VALUE: approximately $25

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=] [(facebook=] [(bloglovin=]