Essex Dress in Cotton Poplin




I recently made the Essex Dress by Sewing and the City. I loved the style as soon as I saw it released late last summer and knew I would need to make one myself. In preparing to make this dress I searched Instagram for other people’s versions and their feedback. Many mentioned that it was a touch short and the V was a bit deep. I decided to address these common fit issues while cutting out my pattern. 

Based on my measurements I should have been a size six, but after reviewing the final garment measurements I decided to make a size two and I’m glad I did. (I decided this after a tissue fitting of the pattern. Thankful Sewing in the City includes cut and stitch lines on patterns!) I’m 5’1” and added one inch to the bottom of the skirts pieces. I wouldn’t want it any shorter! I also raised the fabric of the V by pivoting the front bodice piece on the upper shoulder point one inch from fold (at the deepest point of the V.) After a few pin fittings I also decided to raise the center seam 1 1/2”, which worked because I have a smaller bust. I’m very happy with the results and will make these adjustments again in the future.



I love working with all wovens, especially cotton shirting, because it isn’t slippery and can so easily be persuaded to do what you want it to do with a bit of steam. Cotton is a natural fiber and has great breathability and adaptability to climate, it deals with temperatures changes well. And as I’ve worn this cotton shirting I’ve found it wrinkle resistant too! 

I like to make blouses/tops and daily wear dresses with cotton shirting. It’s also great for little girl dresses, which I plan to be making a lot more of in the near future! The addition of bias binding to the flutter sleeves of this dress allow them to keep their shape and be a real statement! This fabric and notions were gifted to me by Style Maker Fabrics and you can learn more about cotton shirting on their blog here.




Pattern: The Essex Dress by Sewing and the City
Size: Two, lengthened on inch and adjusted neckline
Time: Estimated 5-7 hours with fitting and adjustments

Cost to Make:
pattern - $16
fabric - $30 value
bias tape - $6 value, 3 yards organic cotton bias tape
elastic - $2 value, 2 1/4 yards of 3/4" elastic
TOTAL: $56 VALUE
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]