Modern Hanbok


 


This past weekend I had the great pleasure of celebrating my daughter's first 100 days of life. It's amazing how much she's changed and grown already. As we've fallen into a more regular pattern I've begun to find small amounts of time to sew. I purchased Baby A's formal hanbok for her party online, and was thankful not to have the pressure of getting her dress done on time. However, women's hanboks were quite expensive and I wanted to coordinate with her perfectly so I decided to make my own.

The pattern I used is designed for woven fabrics so once Baby's hanbok came in the mail I took it to my local quilt shop Crimson Tate to find coordinating fabric for my dress. I ended up with a Rashida Coleman-Hale Speckled Metallic Sorbet in pink for the top and Robert Kaufman Metallic Yarn Dyed Essex Linen in emerald for the skirt and love how it coordinated with Baby's outfit.

The pattern instructions and pieces are written in Korean so I leaned heavily on Sewing Therapy's video tutorials - thank you Sara! A few key differences she pointed out about this pattern were new-to-me pattern marks and the need to add seam allowance. I also had a difficult time reading and understanding the size chart - I made a size small but probably should have sized up at least one size and made a medium.

We weren't able to have a large celebration due to the pandemic, but we were able to celebrate in style with our family and couldn't have been more happy. I can only imagine what the next 100 days will hold.

Pattern: Dailylike Adult One-Piece Hanbok
Size: small
Fabric: Rashida Coleman-Hale Speckled Metallic Sorbet (Pink) for the top and Robert Kaufman Metallic Yarn Dyed Essex Linen (Emerald) for the skirt
Time: I would guess 5-8 hours, between watching the video tutorials multiple times, tracing the pattern, cutting and sewing the garment. But it's hard to tell when you try to squeeze all that making into naptime!

Cost to Make:
pattern - $19
fabric - $58
interfacing and thread from my stash
TOTAL: $77
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]