Willow Wrap Dress - Nursing Top Hack



I have a new hole in my wardrobe and have been energized to create nursing friendly garments post baby. In the short amount of time I've been nursing her I found that I prefer tops and dresses that can be pushed to the side so I can easily see baby's latch. This H&M top was the perfect inspiration for just such a top!


I used the Willow Wrap Dress pattern from Love Notions as the base for this top and added a modesty panel in coordinating fabric using a similar ready-to-wear nursing top I already owned for reference. This pattern has so many options, I started by cutting the plain front panels at the lower neckline and the skirt pieces at the line for a peplum style top.


To better match the inspiration top I narrowed the skirt front piece by an inch on each side at the bottom. I created a modesty panel by folding the front pattern piece in half, placing it on the fold, tracing a curved neckline two inches above the lowest point of the V and cutting it off six and half inches below the armscye. I sewed the modesty panel to the shoulder seams after adding the knit binding to the neckline, but would sew it in before finishing the neckline in the future as this didn't create the cleanest finish.


I loved working with this fabric from June & Lu Fabrics because it was stable enough to hold its shape even after nursing baby a few times. Of course, I had a bit of fabric left over and had to make baby girl a few coordinating onsies and headbands. These are our first mommy and me outfits! I love this top and wear it regularly - it can be dressed up with black slacks or worn more casually with jeans.



Size: Small
Fabric: Organic Water Lilies in Creme Jersey Knit Fabric by Elvelyckan Designs, 1 yard (*this is a directional print so make sure to purchase enough); Organic Rose Solid Jersey Knit Fabric by Elvelyckan Designs, 1/2 yard. Find this fabric and coordinating solids at June & Lu Fabrics.
Time estimate: 5 hours, including cutting and sewing

Cost to Make:
pattern - previously owned, $12 value
pattern printing - previously printed, $17 value
fabric - gifted, $21 value plus shipping
thread - from stash
TOTAL: $50 value

This fabric was gifted to me in return for social media posts. This fabric has great recovery and I love how it washes and wears. I would purchase it in the future!

QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]