Golf Outfit - Pace Skirt



Last year I started joining my husband when he went golfing. I drove the golf cart, he golfed, and we both enjoyed escaping the city for a few hours. Golf quickly became something we enjoyed doing together and this year he talked me into getting my own set of clubs (I found a petite set!). Obviously I needed a new outfit to go with my new hobby and I quickly found GreenStyle Creations Pace Skirt, the perfect feminine athletic wear!

I haven't made a lot of athletic wear before and was glad GreenStyle Creations linked potential fabric pairings on the pattern listing page. I was thrilled to find The Fabric Fairy and browse through all the fabric options. I fell in love with this red and navy checkered stretch woven and planned the rest of my outfit around it. Sadly, there was only one yard left and that later became a bit of an issue.


Based on the pattern measurements I needed a size 6 at my waist and a size 8 at my hips. Given the number of pattern pieces and potential complexity of grading between sizes I decided to make a straight size eight - after all, this pattern was drafted for knits and negative ease.

When I went to cut out the lower skirt I didn't have quite enough fabric width. But I was determined to make this piece of fabric work, so I reduced each of the three side pleats by a 1/2" for a total of 1 1/2" inches. I also spent a lot of time intentionally placing and cutting the remaining pattern pieces for the best pattern matching.


I made the shorts version, with pockets for tees, and the standard rise. I did not include the crotch gusset. The one issue I had, of my own making, was sewing the top of the waistband with a short, straight stitch. I thought it would create a nice finish, but it didn't allow for enough stretch. Now I have to shimmy to get into my Pace Skirt!


This was such a fun and rewarding sew. I love how it turned out and will certainly make other versions in the future. The only change I would make, in addition to using a true stretch stitch at the waistband, is to remove 3/8" from the center of the front skirt panel and grade it out to nothing at the side.

Now to work on my golf swing... And stay tuned to hear all about the Pacific Pullover I paired with my paired with my Pace Skirt to complete the look.


Size: 8
Fabric used: shorts - Zen Poseidon Blue Nylon Spandex Athletic Jersey Knit, 88% ATY Nylon/12% Spandex
                       skirt - Red/Navy Checkers Stretch Woven (out of stock)
Time estimate: 8 hours

Cost to make:
pattern - $10
pattern printing - $4
fabric - $31.50
thread - from my stash
TOTAL: $45.50
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]