2018 Year-In-Review



It's hard to believe that it has been a year since I started sewing more regularly and documenting my journey here on the blog. Over the course of this year I've learned a lot about the kinds of garments I like to wear; style, color, fabric type and weight. I hit my stride about mid-year and started making garments I have truly incorporated into my wardrobe. My favorite makes of the year, pictured above, were all made in May or later and none of them were part of my original plan.



In total I've made 20 garments this year, almost doubling the number of garments I've ever made. Of these garments I wear approximately 11 of them, including two formal dresses. The five pieces I've worn most are a vintage Simplicity wrap dress S7705, a McCalls trumpet sleeve blouse M7542, a Hey June Handmade Halifax Hoodie, a Grainline Studio Lark Tee, and a Chalk and Notch Fringe Dress pictured above.

Most of the garments I don't wear were really only intended to be "wearable toiles." I'm glad I took the time to make these mock-ups before cutting into more expensive fashion fabric. However, the problem I found with making toiles was that I rarely actually made a second garment with the changes I planned to make the next garment fit me better.

I plan to be much more intentional with my 2019 makes. I'll use neutral, earth tones as well as floral prints and tailored styles. And I'm going to do a better job of making the final garment post-toile. I'll share more about my inspiration and 2019 sewing plans soon!
QuickEdit
Marissa
1 Comments

1 comment:

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]