My Chai Tee



I have adored this cutely named "chai tee" pattern since I first saw it at a Cincinnati fabric store this spring. It will be a great addition to my work wardrobe, with my morning black tea!

The pattern is created for both wovens and knits, which makes it the perfect addition to my collection. I made my first chai tee with woven material allows for slightly more formal, business casual feel. As the pattern suggested, I sized up one size to compensate for the reduced stretch of a woven material.


I deviated from the pattern instructions in a few places, enclosing both of the yoke pieces inside using the rolling technique detailed in the instructions. Honestly, I did this on accident because I wasn't paying close enough attention... but in the end it was a happy mistake that I think made the final product feel more finished. Because both shoulder seams were already finished I pinned the neck binding in place, sewed it together into a closed circle, and continued to follow the instructions for attaching the binding.


After trying to stitch in the neck binding unsuccessfully a few time I decided to hand based it on, with much more success. One additional note I had about the neck binding was that I had to cut a second neck binding out because the pattern piece did not indicate that it should be on the bias for woven materials, although the pattern instructions did. Although this was a minor annoyance it was worth the effort to not fight an ill fitting binding.

One last note on the pattern instructions was that I had to add a basting line or two to the sleeve to get them set inside well. I was happy with this quick sew and was able to make it work for me with a few tweaks.


This is wonderful and wearable muslin, and I am glad I tried the pattern once before cutting into my final fashion fabric. As you can see, a straight size small is roomy enough in the bust, but much too tight around my hips. When I make this pattern again I will need to grade the hips out to at least a size medium. I can't wait to have more, tailored chai tees!



Time estimate: 5 hours
Size: small
Material used: polyester blend
Care instructions: machine wash cold, line dry, warm iron when needed

Cost to make dress:
pattern - $15
material - gifted
*thread from my stash
TOTAL: $15 plus tax
QuickEdit
Marissa
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Marissa] [img=//4.bp.blogspot.com/-PZLYzJMG34Y/XiU1zvVCSSI/AAAAAAAARmg/Fom6rY8JYb4c5J4_WgJ0cOTlrVOsq1nFgCK4BGAYYCw/s355/NielsenFamily19Final-11%2B%25282%2529.jpg] [description=Hi, I'm Marissa, a hobby seamstress. Thanks for joining me on my journey as I create a handmade wardrobe. Like and follow via the social media links below to see my newest makes!] [(instagram=https://www.instagram.com/sew_help_me)] [(facebook=https://www.facebook.com/SewHelpMebyMarissa)] [(bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sew-help-me-19274771)]